Thank you for your patience and continued interest in supporting the Sacramento Children’s Home as a volunteer as we weighed when to safely allow the return to in-person volunteers. Based on the latest Sacramento County Public Health recommendations, we are excited to announce that we can safely allow volunteers to return.
The Sacramento Children’s Home is committed to the health and safety of our clients, staff, and volunteers. With this in mind, we have decided to implement the following protocols:
- Administrative volunteers working in Human Resources, Philanthropy, Finance, and/or Medical, may return to volunteer service beginning Monday, July 19, 2021
- Program or special event volunteers working in STRTP, the Crisis Nursery, or special projects on campus, may return to service beginning Monday, August 2, 2021.
- Prior to returning, all volunteers must provide proof of being fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination completion must be provided to the Volunteer Coordinator, Wendy Beseda, by email at least two business days prior to return volunteering.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will note receipt of your vaccine proof and respond via email with approval to volunteer before you are able to return to SCH facilities. Individuals are considered “fully vaccinated” two weeks after their second dose (Moderna/Pfizer) or two weeks after a single Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen dose.
- Volunteers must complete daily temperature checks and affirm that they do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 prior to arriving to volunteer.
- Volunteers must wear a mask at ALL times. Volunteers may only remove their mask when actively taking a sip from a beverage or a bite of food.
- Volunteers working strictly outdoors, such as those working on maintenance and landscape projects, will not be required to wear a mask if outdoors and at least 6 feet away from SCH staff and clients.
Thank you for your service to SCH as a volunteer. We appreciate your support of our organization and your understanding of these new volunteer protocols.
The Sacramento Children’s Home offers numerous volunteer opportunities. SCH volunteers live out their passion to build a better tomorrow for at-risk children and families. And there are numerous ways to get involved! Volunteer as an individual or group, work directly with our children, behind the scenes, at events, or in the community. No matter your role, as a volunteer, you will be a valuable part of the Sacramento Children’s Home. The work you do will enhance our ability to open doors to the future by maximizing the potential of the children and families we serve. Every hour you donate to the Sacramento Children’s Home is an hour well spent. Volunteers really do make a difference!
Here are our volunteer opportunities:
SCH Program Volunteers
- Residential: Volunteer opportunities directly with children are always a popular option! These volunteers spend time with the boys who live at the Sacramento Children’s Home. Volunteer opportunities in this program include playing board games, reading, playing outside, or shooting hoops with our residents. A volunteer may spend one-on-one time with a child who needs extra attention. Above all, they are positive adult role models for the boys in our program and help fill a void in their lives. Residential volunteers must be at least 21 years old and successfully pass the application process and background check. We ask for a commitment of at least two hours per week for one year or 100 total hours.
- Crisis Nursery: Crisis Nursery volunteers are needed often! There are volunteer opportunities at both crisis nurseries. Volunteering work includes reading, helping at mealtime, washing dishes, folding laundry, working on an enrichment project, or playing outside with the children. Volunteers interact with children ages zero to five and help provide them with a safe, nurturing, and loving environment. Crisis Nursery volunteers must be at least 18 years old and successfully pass the application process and background check. We ask for a commitment of at least two hours per week for one year or 100 total hours.
SCH Administrative Volunteers
Sac Century Challenge 2021 Volunteers
Community Outreach Volunteers & Social Media Ambassadors
Social Media Ambassadors: Always on Facebook? Love to Tweet? Post selfies to Instagram? #WeNeedYourHelp! Social Media Ambassadors actively follow the Sacramento Children’s Home on social media and help boost engagement by frequently liking, sharing, and commenting on our posts. These volunteers should have a strong local social media presence and be active on at least one of the following platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Social Media Ambassadors must be comfortable sharing program updates, success stories, fundraising campaigns, and other related posts, and be excited to spread the word about the Sacramento Children’s Home to their friends. You can be a Social Media Ambassador anywhere, anytime, from any device!
Special Event Volunteers
Volunteers are a key component of every successful Sacramento Children’s Home event. Volunteers can fill many event roles, such as assisting with computer registration and check out, helping with set up and take down, selling raffle tickets, assisting with service or bartending, etc. So no matter their role, every event volunteer is important and appreciated. For more information about upcoming events, visit our events page.
The Sacramento Children’s Home welcomes groups from local businesses and community organizations to undertake service projects that support the mission of the Sacramento Children’s Home. Groups may donate their time to help complete a project at the Sacramento Children’s Home main campus, or at one Family Resource Centers or Crisis Nurseries in the community. Opportunities may include:
- Helping with a beautification project like grounds keeping, gardening, or painting.
- Volunteering at a program or fundraising event.
- Volunteering at our holiday donation site.
- Other projects as needed.