Thank you for your interest in supporting the Sacramento Children’s Home as a volunteer. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect virtually all aspects of life, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend all in-person volunteer activities until further notice.
The Sacramento Children’s Home is committed to the health and safety of our clients, staff, and volunteers. With this in mind, we have decided to extensively limit community members from visiting SCH facilities.
Now more than ever, the children and families we serve need the support of community members like you. While many businesses and offices have temporarily closed, SCH continues its work as an essential service for our community, and we could use your support even though we cannot welcome you in person. Below we have identified a number of ways that prospective volunteers, current volunteers, and donors can provide meaningful support to the children and families we serve from a distance.
VIRTUAL & SOCIALLY DISTANT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Make a Financial Donation: Support our greatest need or a program of your choice by visiting our donation page at kidshome.org/donate.
- Conduct an Immediate Needs Drive: Collect items that are urgently needed by the children and families we serve. See our list here: https://www.kidshome.org/how-to-help/in-kind-support/.
- Organize a Facebook Fundraiser: Get your friends and family involved and make a greater impact! Get started here.
- Donate Talents: Sew masks, put together goodie bags for our kids, or new expecting mother kits.
- Bilingual/Multilingual Volunteers: The Sacramento Children’s Home is looking for volunteers who speak Spanish, Chinese, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Russian, Hmong, and more to help translate documents and assist staff with other translation needs as they arise.
- Create-Your-Own Adventure: Have your own creative idea? If you have a unique way to support SCH from afar, let us know. We are open to your ideas, suggestions, and look forward to working with you.
On behalf of the Sacramento Children’s Home and the clients and families we serve, thanks again for your interest in becoming a volunteer. As soon as we can safely allow volunteers to return to service, we will let you know. In the meantime, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Wendy Beseda at firstname.lastname@example.org so that she can add your name to a list of interested volunteers. We also recommend you consider signing up for our email list at https://www.kidshome.org/sch-email/ so you can be included in periodic updates about the Sacramento Children’s Home.
The Sacramento Children’s Home offers numerous volunteer opportunities. SCH volunteers live out their passion to build a better tomorrow for at-risk children and families. And there are numerous ways to get involved! Volunteer as an individual or group, work directly with our children, behind the scenes, at events, or in the community. No matter your role, as a volunteer, you will be a valuable part of the Sacramento Children’s Home. The work you do will enhance our ability to open doors to the future by maximizing the potential of the children and families we serve. Every hour you donate to the Sacramento Children’s Home is an hour well spent. Volunteers really do make a difference!
Here are our volunteer opportunities:
SCH Program Volunteers
- Residential: Volunteer opportunities directly with children are always a popular option! These volunteers spend time with the boys who live at the Sacramento Children’s Home. Volunteer opportunities in this program include playing board games, reading, playing outside, or shooting hoops with our residents. A volunteer may spend one-on-one time with a child who needs extra attention. Above all, they are positive adult role models for the boys in our program and help fill a void in their lives. Residential volunteers must be at least 21 years old and successfully pass the application process and background check. We ask for a commitment of at least two hours per week for one year or 100 total hours.
- Crisis Nursery: Crisis Nursery volunteers are needed often! There are volunteer opportunities at both crisis nurseries. Volunteering work includes reading, helping at mealtime, washing dishes, folding laundry, working on an enrichment project, or playing outside with the children. Volunteers interact with children ages zero to five and help provide them with a safe, nurturing, and loving environment. Crisis Nursery volunteers must be at least 18 years old and successfully pass the application process and background check. We ask for a commitment of at least two hours per week for one year or 100 total hours.
SCH Administrative Volunteers
Community Outreach Volunteers & Social Media Ambassadors
Social Media Ambassadors: Always on Facebook? Love to Tweet? Post selfies to Instagram? #WeNeedYourHelp! Social Media Ambassadors actively follow the Sacramento Children’s Home on social media and help boost engagement by frequently liking, sharing, and commenting on our posts. These volunteers should have a strong local social media presence and be active on at least one of the following platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Social Media Ambassadors must be comfortable sharing program updates, success stories, fundraising campaigns, and other related posts, and be excited to spread the word about the Sacramento Children’s Home to their friends. You can be a Social Media Ambassador anywhere, anytime, from any device!
Special Event Volunteers
Volunteers are a key component of every successful Sacramento Children’s Home event. Volunteers can fill many event roles, such as assisting with computer registration and check out, helping with set up and take down, selling raffle tickets, assisting with service or bartending, etc. So no matter their role, every event volunteer is important and appreciated. For more information about upcoming events, visit our events page.
The Sacramento Children’s Home welcomes groups from local businesses and community organizations to undertake service projects that support the mission of the Sacramento Children’s Home. Groups may donate their time to help complete a project at the Sacramento Children’s Home main campus, or at one Family Resource Centers or Crisis Nurseries in the community. Opportunities may include:
- Helping with a beautification project like groundskeeping, gardening, or painting.
- Volunteering at a program or fundraising event.
- Volunteering at our holiday donation site.
- Other projects as needed.